Avalanche (Avax) users can enjoy Ethereum Web3 and DeFi applications by connecting to MetaMask. Here are step-by-step instructions for how to connect Avalanche network to Metamask network.
One of the advanced attributes in blockchain technology is the interoperability of different blockchains communicating with each other. Interoperability is crucial when exchanging data and assets such as non-fungible tokens (NFTs) or cryptocurrencies while enjoying the best of two or more platforms to save money. fee savings, such as or faster transactions.
The Avalanche blockchain is a flexible, interoperable cryptocurrency network and platform that solves scalability, security, and decentralization issues with a single type of proof-of-stake (PoS) governance. . It was developed by Ava Labs, a research and development company based in New York, to launch enterprise blockchain applications and decentralized finance (DeFi).
Avalanche is powered by its native token – AVAX has smart contract functionality that puts it in direct competition with Ethereum. The smart contracts of the PoS platform mainly support decentralized applications (Dapps) and self-governing blockchains with fast transaction processing times, a reward structure that incentivizes participation, and interoperability. enhancement work.
Avalanche’s interaction with Ethereum and its DeFi ecosystems is supported by the MetaMask cryptocurrency wallet, a software that has 10 million users. It can be downloaded as a browser extension on Chrome and Firefox, or as an iOS and Android mobile phone app. Before interacting with the Ethereum blockchain and Dapp, users need to add the Avalanche network to their MetaMask wallet and this tutorial will show them how.
How to set up MetaMask?
MetaMask is a cryptocurrency wallet that allows users to connect to Dapps in addition to storing Ether and ERC-20 tokens. Connecting MetaMask to Avalanche allows AVAX users to enjoy all the dapps Ethereum has to offer without leaving the Avalanche network. Avalanche’s interoperability also makes the network more accessible for developers to build on as it shares a smart contract programming language, Solidity, with Ethereum.
It should be noted that there are three blockchains on the Avalanche network: Exchange Chain (X-Chain), Contract Chain (C-Chain), and Platform Chain (P-Chain).
The main use of Avalanche X-chain is to send and receive AVAX and cannot be used on the Web3 platform or added to a Web3 wallet like MetaMask. P-Chain is the metadata blockchain on Avalanche that coordinates validators, keeps track of active subnets – sovereign networks that define their own rules for membership and tokens – and allows the creation of new subnets.
Only Avalanche’s default smart contract C-Chain wallet is compatible with MetaMask, an essential piece of information to keep in mind because if you choose the wrong chain when adding Avalanche to MetaMask, you may lose your funds.
Therefore, to transfer AVAX from the Avalanche wallet, the user’s tokens need to be in the C-Chain wallet or use an exchange wallet integrated with C-Chain, such as Binance. If the token is not in the C-Chain, it can easily be transferred internally from any of the other two Avalanche blockchains by paying a small transaction fee.
MetaMask can be added as an extension for Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Brave and iOS or Android browsers on mobile devices from the MetaMask website; however, for the purposes of this article, a Chrome extension will be considered.
Users must verify the legitimacy of the MetaMask website to avoid being scammed by phishing and compromised websites. We recommend downloading the appropriate extension from the official website.
From the MetaMask website, click “Download for Chrome” and “Add to Chrome” to add the extension. The next steps are listed below:
- Install the MetaMask Chrome extension and click “Get Started” on the MetaMask welcome page.
- You can enter your existing crypto wallet, but you will need to enter the wallet initialization phrase; then click on the option “Import wallet.
- You can also set up a new wallet by clicking the “Create Wallet” button. Here, you must create a secure password to access the wallet from your device.
- The necessary information about your seed phrase will be displayed on the next page and you will have to pay special attention to it. A seed phrase or recovery phrase is an important security feature and a backup for your crypto wallet. It will allow you to access your wallet with tokens even if you lose or forget your password.
- Next, click the lock button to see the seed phrase. Take notes of words in the correct order, store them securely offline, and never share them with anyone. Your assets could be at risk if someone compromises your device and gains access to your root passphrase.
- The system will ask you to repeat the seed phrase on the next page; Make sure you choose the words in the correct order.
- Click “Confirm” to finish and then click “All Done” to access your new wallet.
The process described above will automatically connect MetaMask to Ethereum. However, you must complete the steps marked below to add the Avalanche network to MetaMask.
So, How to Connect Avalanche Network to MetaMask in Details?
Connecting MetaMask to Avalanche is a fairly straightforward process. Once you are logged in to the MetaMask wallet, click on the Ethereum mainnet drop-down menu and select Custom RPC, as shown below.
You will be redirected to the “Add Network” page, where you need to add the following information:
- Network name: Avalanche
- New RPC URL: https://api.avax.network/ext/bc/C/rpc
- ChainID: 43114
- Symbol: AVAX
- Explorer: https://snowtrace.io/
You can see the “Add a network” requirements for using MetaMask on Avalanche here:
Click “Save” to complete the process. You are now ready to use MetaMask on Avalanche and all its DeFi and Web3 applications.
How to send AVAX tokens to MetaMask?
- After connecting the Avalanche network to MetaMask, you can send AVAX coins from your Avalanche wallet to your MetaMask wallet. Remember that only C-Chain is compatible with MetaMask.
- Login to your Avalanche wallet and transfer your tokens to the C-Chain blockchain if they are on the P- or X-Chain blockchain.
- Simply click on “Cross Chain” on the left menu bar and select “C-Chain” as the destination chain.
Enter the amount you want to transfer and click “Confirm”. A small transaction fee will be added to the final amount.
- You can now send AVAX funds to MetaMask by clicking “Send” from the left menu.
- Select “C Contract” as the source string and enter the amount you want to send to MetaMask.
- Now, go to your MetaMask wallet and copy the address that you will paste into the Avalanche wallet under “To Address”.
- Check if you have enough gas for transaction fees.
Confirm and complete the transaction.
Once the transaction is confirmed, you will be able to view the AVAX coins in your MetaMask wallet.
What other Wallets Are Avalanche Compatible?
MetaMask is definitely a flexible DeFi wallet for running smart contracts and Dapps. However, AVAX can be transferred, stored, staking and exchanged in other cold and hot wallets. With over 90 million verified users worldwide, Coinbase wallet is a secure and easy to use hot wallet to exchange, earn and store AVAX. The enhanced security through the software’s two-factor authentication makes it a safe wallet to use for both beginners and advanced users.
Trust Wallet is another hot wallet that supports all DeFi schemes, including NFT storage, Web3 capabilities, staking, swaps and purchases. It supports Avalanche C-Chain along with many other blockchains so that Dapps can be connected to AVAX easily. This hot wallet is one of the most used wallets among Web3 enthusiasts because of its user-friendly interface and flexibility.
The Ledger Nano S or X cold wallet both support Avalanche and users can access and store their AVAX tokens through all Avalanche chain addresses. Cold wallets are recommended over hot wallets, as the private keys for accessing cryptocurrencies are stored offline in a hardware device, making it difficult for hackers and malicious actors to steal them.
Above is our tutorial to connect Avalanche Network to Metamask. Hopefully after this article you can understand this method well and have a good choice for your long term crypto investment. Wish you all success and see you in the next guides at our site.